List of some fun, adventurous things to do and places to explore in New Zealand.
1.Glacier trekking on Fox and Franz Josef Glaciers.
2. Explore Abel Tasman National Park
3. Visit Milford Sound, which may be the most popular tourist attraction in the country.
4. Visit Tongariro National Park. Tongariro National Park is on New Zealand’s North Island. The park has 3 active volcanoes: Tongariro, Ngauruhoe (Mount Doom in “The Lord of the Rings” films) and Ruapehu with its ski slopes. The Tongariro Alpine Crossing trail passes the Emerald Lakes and boiling mud pools, culminating at still-active Red Crater. Park wildlife includes the brown kiwi and the whio, or blue duck. Tongariro River has rapids and trout.
5. Check out New Chums Beach in the Coromandel Peninsula, New Zealand. It is on Phill Keoghans must-see list. “Consistently voted one of the world’s top beaches. There are no roads to this idyllic destination. It takes about 30 minutes to walk around the rugged coast line and a climb through the native New Zealand bush before you are rewarded with this spectacular national treasure.”
6. Hike parts of the Te Aararoa Trail. Why You Should Go: Maori for “the long pathway,” the Te Araroa, which is split into 160 tracks and typically takes five months to finish, cuts through the heart of New Zealand from Cape Reinga at the North Island’s tip to Bluff on the South Island’s edge. Check out NatGeo’s Top 20 dream trails article.
7. Hike Roys Peak – Amazing pictures at Danillo Heggs Website.
8. Visit Lake Pukaki
9. Climb the rocks at Castle Hill
10. Explore Lake Wanaka Lavender Farm
11. Soak in an outdoor bath in Ohakune, New Zealand
12. Be illuminated at the Waitomo Glow Worm Caves in New Zealand
13. Visit Te Whanganui-A-Hei Marine Reserve in Waikato, New Zealand – The rugged and beautiful weathered coastline along the Coromandel on New Zealands north island is a must see when visiting the country. Cathedral Cove is beyond stunning and going at sunrise before it gets too busy is recommended.
14. Other suggestions?